Lifeboat from Titanic
Lifeboat to Carpathia
Confidence Level
Daly, Mr Eugene Patrick  Collapsible B

12 (3 votes)
4 or 12 (6 votes)


In his own accounts, Eugene Daly detailed how he helped two women in his charge, Margaret Daly and Bertha Mulvihill, into a lifeboat, before being dragged out himself.  The accounts of Bertha Mulvihill support that the three were not rescued together. 

In several accounts, Daly described the attempts of a group of men and himself in trying to cut free a collapsible boat (clearly Collapsible A, based on the description) before water reached the Boat Deck.  He gave the following account of his escape in a letter to his sister in Ireland, which was published in the Daily Sketch on May 4, 1912:
    “Everyone was rushing round but there were no boats. Then I dived overboard. When I struck the water I swam for the boat that had been washed over. When I got to her she was upside down. I pulled myself up on her. About fifteen or more got upon her the same way. At the time I jumped there were a lot of people jumping overboard.”

Like several other survivors who tried to free Collapsible A, he mistook Collapsible B as the same lifeboat, once he was in the water.  Collapsible B, though it floated free on the port side, ended up on the starboard side of Titanic, before the first funnel fell.

Daly gave the following description of his escape to Carpathia passenger Dr. Frank Blackmarr (published in The Titanic Commutator No.147).  Daly was unconscious when brought aboard the rescue ship, and had to be carried to Blackmarr’s cabin, where he was revived.  Blackmarr described him as being delirious:
    “I finally got up to the top deck and made for the front…The water was just covering the upper deck at the bridge and it was easy to slide because she had such a tip. During that brief time that I worked on cutting one of these ropes, the collapsible was crowded with people hanging upon the edges. The Titanic gave a lurch downward and we were in the water up to our hips. She rose again slightly, and I succeeded in cutting the second rope which held her stern. Another lurch threw this boat and myself off and away from the ship into the water. ….. I managed to get away and succeeded in reaching the same boat I had tried to set free from the deck of the Titanic. I climbed upon this, and with the other men balanced ourselves in water to our hips until we were rescued.” 

Daly later filed a claim in the Limitation of Liability Hearings, as well as testifying in the same proceedings in New York District Court.  In his claim, filed on January 4, 1913, he stated the following:
    “By the said sinking and destruction of said steamship I was caused and suffered personal injuries to the lower half of my person, which injuries are of a permanent nature, and that by such injuries I have been damaged in the sum of Ten thousand dollars ($10,000.)”

While the official transcript of his testimony is missing, a summary of his testimony appeared in the New York Times on June 26, 1915.  In it, Daly was reported as saying the following:
    “When the ship listed he jumped into the water and clung to an upturned boat until morning.”

Daly is quoted in the summary of his testimony as claiming that he was transferred from Collapsible B to the “boat in which he was first refused permission to get in.”  Since Daly was pulled from boat #15, the same boat in which he helped Margaret Daly and Bertha Mulvihill escape in, this is clearly a mistake.  However, Daly did give a brief description of the lifeboat he was transferred aboard from Collapsible B, in The Evening World on April 22, 1912:
    “I managed to don a life preserver and failing to get a seat in a lifeboat or on a raft jumped overboard and struck out just before the ship sank. The water was icy and for the first few minutes I thought I could not survive the cold shock. I do not know how long I was in the water when I caught the edge of a liferaft or collapsible boat already crowded. It upset, but the people in it did not drown. Some of them scrambled back while others, including myself were dragged into a lifeboat containing women and a few men. My sufferings in the lifeboat were intense until we reached the Carpathia, where I was made comfortable.”

Due to his own accounts and testimony, the supporting evidence of Dr. Frank Blackmarr, and the evidence of Daly being unconscious when taken aboard Carpathia, and suffering injuries to his legs, we conclude with certainty that Daly was rescued atop Collapsible B.  However, we were unable to determine with certainty whether he was subsequently transferred aboard boat #4 and #12, and our vote regarding this was split.